Brief History of Hamilton Russell Vineyards Olive Oil
- First experimental pressing of 1 liter of Olive Oil by Anthony Hamilton Russell in 1993, using upside down car jack and green Mission olives from an old ornamental grove. Exciting quality justifies further trials.
- Second trial pressing in 1994 of both green and black olives to check impact of ripeness on character.
- First commercial release of Hamilton Russell Vineyards Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Olive Oil in 1995. Oil pressed on a borrowed mechanical press and sold in the Tasting Room. First Wine Estate to release an olive oil in South Africa.
- Bought own small (150kg batch) hydraulic batch press from Italy for the 1996 harvest. Quantity made in 1996 allowed small amounts to be made available to friends and to visitors to our Tasting Room.
- 1996 – initiated larger scale plantings on sandstone soils on the Southern extremity of Hamilton Russell Vineyards around the manor house “Braemar”.
- Current plantings amount to 3050 trees covering approximately 6 hectares.